Monday, June 30, 2014

Final weeks

The last week and a half has been filled with training, training and more training; perfectly interspersed with a mixture of reading, sleeping, exploring and eating.

Lizzie and I flew from Tallin to Milan, well not really Milan. It was actually Bergamo which is RyanAir's crappy version of Milan as an arrival destination. We were met by a smiling Toph who had the biggest pack I have laid eyes on yet. He had a tent stuffed in there along with numerous other useful things (pots, pans...as you do) so relatively justified. After showcasing our newly found Italian lining up skills (push, push, take the gap, do all it takes to get on; the line was drawn for the lady with the baby though) to get on the bus we arrived at the rental car depot. We had hired...a Fiat Panda. For those that aren't car savvy, which I am not, I got the giggles due to the debacle we were in, 3 huge packs plus another person and pack to be picked up. We would need rope to strap packs to the roof. After a bit of arguing we conceded that Lizzie had indeed ordered a midget car and loaded everything in. I jumped in the back seat to find (drumroll!) only seat belts for 2 in the back, we had definitely hired a 5 person car, back in arguing Italian business!
I dutifully waited with the packs in the sun and got my tan on whilst Lizzie and Toph went back to the airport to sort the paperwork, such a tough life I live. Then we were away to pick up Jas at the train station, a mere 3 hours late. Her phone had died and she couldn't get internet anyway so the look on her face when we rolled up yelling and tooting was sheer relief. To the mountains we headed.

The next 4 days were spent up around Asiago training on maps for WOC. We stayed in a little chalet thing which had a washing machine (for a girl with a pack full of dirty clothes it was bliss!) and allowed us to spread ourselves out, I even managed to show the village my entire wardrobe, including underwear, due to the lack of a clothes line. I was very proud of my improvisation!


I did a bit of exploring around and about, one morning on my wanders I could hear barking. One of my biggest fears of running alone, after getting attacked by creepy men, is to get attacked by a dog. The barking got closer and closer behind me so I started assuming the worst and figuring out the best escape route. The plan was to ditch the jandals and jump the fence into the nearest house. The closer it got the more my adrenaline started pumping and just as I was about to make a dash for it I turned around, to find the cutest little spaniel with the most ferocious look on its face. After telling him to go home I realised my imagination was getting away on me and sleep needed to become a bigger factor in my day.

We did one mountain explore while we were up there, Mt Cornetto, just above Folgaria which was a training map Lizzie and I went on when we first arrived in Europe. After a solid hike (I wouldn't call it running, hands on knees stuff) we approached the top to find the most incredible views down the valley. Poor Toph became designated camera man while we pranced along the trail, high on life and the lack of oxygen. As we approached the top there was a big group of 20 or so trampers coming towards us who started cheering and yelling for us as we ran towards them, what a reception. Unfortunate timing though as we'd been planning to turn around but couldn't exactly do that with all the whooping going on so kept going until we were out of sight. After admiring the views we turned back and got the same performance as we ran past them again, this time I couldn't help laughing as Jas muttered "shit I'd be walking if it wasn't for these guys".
A great day and good to have a break from orienteering, nice to feel speedy on the trails too.



After dropping Jas off in a tiny village by the side of the road we headed down towards Venice. Toph took off to Florence and we picked up Lachy, Tim and Laura for some sprint training.
I love Venice, it's just such a magic city, I could wander and get lost in those alleyways for days on end and still be smiling. There is just so much character.
We were staying in Mestre which is just out of Venice, while significantly cheaper it wasn't quite the same as being able to wander the streets in the early morning and at night sans tourists but still good. The first day we attempted to train at around midday in 30 degree heat, my body was not happy. Most of the map was using little back alleyways but as soon as I got close to the main drags the hordes of tourists would require some seriously skilful people dodging. People don't run in Venice and now I know why. We were so unexpected running around corners that I ended up just running along yelling "scusi, scusi!" continuously which seemed to help. Laura, Tim and I then went wandering, getting lost in the back streets while I played 'guide' with the scraps of info I knew for them.

Our second day there was quite a contrast. We left early hoping to beat some of the crowds, fail, Venice is still outrageously busy at 9am. We persisted though and it was a really good training, feeling much more confident about it all now which is nice. Then it rained and rained and rained. I was planning to head to the Peggy Guggenheim gallery but it'll have to wait. We got stuck in a coffee shop (oh so tough) before braving the thunderstorm and ending up absolutely drenched. Quite entertaining once you were wet and no longer cared. Also very colourful as the tourists wrapped up in their colourful poncho's and continued on their guided tours. A very squelchy bus ride back to Mestre ended this stint in Venice but I'll be back!
On Thursday actually, before the WOC sprint races on Saturday, countdown is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment