Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Italy part 1 - Rovereto

Ciao!
Have finally made it to Europe. After all the planning and logistical excitement it wasn't until the morning I left that it actually hit me that I'm not sure when I'll next be back in NZ. A lot of tears ensued followed by some very hasty goodbye hugs at the airport (sorry Mum, Dad and Ingo) so I wasn't too much of a mess going through security alone.
The first flight was full of excitement when a lovely 5 year old across the aisle from me decided that he couldn't wait to make it to the toilet and managed to wet both himself and the neighbouring seats. Thankfully I was spared!
The second flight I knocked myself out with some great drug combo's before a delightful 6 hour wait at Milan airport for Lizzle. There is nothing to do at Milan airport, it is especially tricky when you have all your gear and need to go to the loo. I made friends with other loners and worked it out, getting good at this travelling thing!

We're onto our third day in Italy and staying in Rovereto, in the Trentino region.
We spent the first two days exploring while recovering from jet lag, such a luxury compared to other trips where it all seems very rushed. Last night we discovered a bell of peace and the military memorial up a steep hill on our run. Much to our disappointment they didn't fit our Italian generalisation and were closed at 6.30. Lizzie convinced me not to climb the fence as there were cameras so that's a Friday morning activity.
We had our first day on a map today up at Folgaria which was good fun but seriously steep. Managed to find 2 Bambi's and some epic views. The bus rides are about an hour to each map but quite a cool way to see the surrounding region. Today we were the annoying tourists jumping all over the bus trying to get pictures and see the castle as we drove past. (Photos are proving too technical for me right now, hopefully next time).

Tomorrow we gain friends in the form of some of the Great British girls who we're planning to meet at the map. Then Friday we meet up with 2 Aussie's and an American to head to the races this weekend up in the mountains around Asiago. It's all happening!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! I hope you have been eating lots of gelato and pizza on my behalf!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah! Pizza and gelato for dinner the first 2 nights xx

    ReplyDelete